June 5, 2008

Yarn!

I just got a box of yarn in the mail!


I ordered it on Sunday night, it was mailed on Monday morning, and it got here today. It's all Malabrigo, from Eat.Sleep.Knit, and I love it. I have four skeins of Loro Barranquero, to make a Cherie Amour, five skeins of worsted in various colors (Applewood, Sealing Wax, Glazed Carrot, Jewel Blue and Emerald) and my first ever skein of silky, in Evening Violet. I don't quite know what I'm going to do with all of it, but I'm excited to play with it. I think the Applewood will probably turn into the Evangelines I've been meaning to make forever, and the Emerald will probably become a Gretel.


And I got fun stuff for buying over a mile of yarn. There's a shawl pattern, cards of all the yarn that Eat.Sleep.Knit carries, two buttons and a little purple ruler. Plus a Yarn Lotto card that I enjoyed scratching, even though I didn't win anything on it. I'd never bough yarn off the internet before, and it was very exciting. It was like getting presents in the mail, and since I used Grandma's birthday money to get it, I suppose that's actually kind of true. I throughly stalked all of the colors I was considering on Ravelry first, to see what they might look like knitted up, and it was much fun. Really, the whole thing was delightful and I highly recommend the store.


Also, I finally devised an effective way of keeping my yarn still while I wind it into a ball, since I don't have a swift and ballwinder. If I loop the yarn around two cans of tomatoes, I can keep it from tangling. The 28-oz cans are both heavy enough to stay still and short enough that it's not too cumbersome to lift the yarn over them. I'm really very pleased, because for the first time winding my yarn into balls myself isn't a hassle.

I've also been knitting oodles and oodles. I'm nearly done with my first cardigan and I'm well into the hat I started yesterday. I love how much knitting time I have now that it's summer!

No comments: