June 25, 2008

Evangelines

I finished my Evangelines yesterday, and they are lovely. I'm so happy with my knitting these days.

These were definitely an exercise in finicky perfectionism, though. Every time I decided something was not quite right about the pattern, I figured out how to make it better and then fixed it. The ribbing in the pattern as written doesn't line up with the cables, so I ripped back and adjusted it. The pattern has you use the same cable for both gloves, but I wanted them to be symmetrical, so I tweaked it. 3/4 of the way through the second glove, I decided that the cable should only be framed by two purl stitches, rather than three, so I dropped the stitches all the way down and reworked them back up as knit stitches with a crochet hook. Then I decided that the cable on the right glove would be better suited to being the left glove, so I ripped back to the thumb hole and put it on the other side. Then, the thumbs were too tight, so I ripped them out and made them 14 stitches instead of twelve. And even with all the fixing, I still loved making them. It's an interesting cable, and the yarn works beautifully with it. Plus the back of the gloves are just a little bit stripy, which is fun.

I made most of them on the flight out to Colorado. I love that the Madison airport security people never ever give me trouble about my needles. Especially because this time I had an entire week worth's of projects in my carry on. I brought a bunch of little projects. These, my daisy stitch armwarmers I started, the Rose armwarmers that I'll be making in Silky, Gretel, and then my Cherie Amour, which I'm restarting. The armwarmers are going faster than I expected them too. I'm about half done with the second daisy stitch one, which is surprising, because the first one took me forever. And, just in case that's not enough, I bought more yarn off of Eat.Sleep.Knit. God I love that site. They got in a new shipment of Malabrigo, and they carry Shibui Knits now, so I'm finally gonna get to try it, which I am super excited about.

Pattern: Evangeline by Michelle Szeghalmi
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted in Applewood, a bit under one skein
Needles: US 7 Brittany DPNs
Modifications: I adjusted the placement of the ribbing, framed the cables with two purl stitches instead of three, and made the cables symmetrical.
Started: June 2008
Finished: June 2008

No comments: