February 12, 2008

The Troll Hat.

So, while looking around Ravelry for a hat pattern for my Point Five yesterday, I was suprised by how few patterns there were for super bulky yarn. So I've decided to give you the pattern I improvised, in case you don't feel like thinking. Hence, the Troll hat, a really simple hat in super bulky thick and thin yarn. At first this hat didn't have a name, but the point at the top reminds me of the trolls' heads in Jan Brett's books, which I read as a child. And it seems to me that if a troll is going to make a hat, it would come out all lumpy and bumpy. I used Colinette Point 5 in Frangipani, a really fun Welsh yarn, but I would imagine another super bulky thick and thin yarn would work as well, although it should be noted that I used all 54 yards to make the hat and the pom pom.

The Troll Hat
by Riah Werner


Materials:

1 skein Colinette Point 5 (100% Wool, 100 grams/54 yards/50 meters)
Size 13 (9 mm) 16-inch circular needle
size 10.5 (6.5 mm) double pointed needles

Gauge:
I can't quite figure out how to get an accurate measurement with this yarn, but it works out to 2.25 st to the inch in stockinette with the bigger needles. The finished size of the hat is 21.5 inches.

Instructions:

CO 48 sts. Join, being careful not to twist sts. Work in stockinette st for 5 inches.

Begin decreases, switching to dpns when necessary.
Row 1: [K2tog, k 11] 4 x.
Row 2: [K2tog, k 10] 4 x.
Row 3: [K2tog, k 9] 4 x.
Row 4: [K2tog, k 8] 4 x.
Row 5: [K2tog, k 7] 4 x.
Row 6: [K2tog, k 6] 4 x.
Row 7: [K2tog, k 5] 4 x.
Row 8: [K2tog, k 4] 4 x.
Row 9: [K2tog, k 3] 4 x.
Row 10: [K2tog, k 2] 4 x.
Row 11: [K2tog, k 1] 4 x.
Row 12: [K2tog] 4x.

K 1 rnd.
BO.

Make a pom pom with the remaining yarn and attach to the top of the hat.

No comments: