January 7, 2008

A trip to Door County earns a trip to the yarn store.

Visiting my grandparents is always a challenge because my mother gets exceptionally irritable whenever we do. This time, we had to spend an hour and a half fixing the ice dams in our gutter before we could leave, and on the ride up, I needed to be the one to talk to the repairpeople on the phone. But once the journey was underway, it was an extremely nice trip.

I spent most of the ride up finishing Grandpa's "Christmas" scarf.

Grandma absolutely loved hers.

As soon as I gave it to her, she put it on and went to show it off to the other ladies in her nursing home. It was so cute, everytime we'd get home, she'd take it off and very carefully lay it out on the back of her chair so everyone would see it when they came in to her room.


On the way home, I made a Calorimetry headband, out of the leftover Berroco Foliage from my first attempt at Grandpa's scarf. I don't love it, but it made the trip home much more enjoyable.


And, because I was so lovely on the trip and helping Mom with the ice dams, I got quadruple bonus points, which translated into a trip to the yarns store, where I got tons of gorgeous, gorgeous yarn.

I have six skeins of Lamb's Pride Worsted in Mulberry and three black velvet buttons for the Mrs. Darcy Cardigan, a skein of absolutely stunning Malabrigo Arabella for a Fourteen neckwarmer, some sparkly Kidsilk Night for an Ice Queen Cowl and five skeins of wonderfully soft, creamy Malabrigo Worsted, which will turn into some sort of hat and scarf, I just haven't decided what yet. I am so unbelievably excited to make things with this stuff. And as a bonus I got a new pair of size 5 double pointed needles. Yay! The Knitting Tree has totally become my favorite yarn store. At Lakeside, the ladies always look at me like I don't know what I doing just because I'm not 65, but at the Knitting Tree, everyone's been lovely.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

That scarf is just lovely - no wonder she was pleased!